Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Soldier Pay Threatens To Undo Congo's Progress Against Rebels

Rich Clabaugh/Staff

From Christian Science Monitor:

Many soldiers haven't seen wages for months. Meanwhile, a Hutu militia is increasing attacks on civilians in response to the military offensive.

Luofo, Democratic Republic of Congo - "You see how I am, I cannot fight again," says Mukalayi Senga, a bed-ridden Congolese government soldier, his lower right leg heavily bandaged after it was shattered by a misdirected mortar. "With the small money the Army gave me, I was not able to pay for my children's school fees. Now, I don't know how I will be able to take care of my family at all."

The experience of Mr. Senga is far from unique. He is one of many government soldiers injured recently in operations against the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), an extremist Hutu militia. But he is one of the fortunate ones. He was flown out of the battle zone to a United Nations military hospital in Goma, a provincial capital. And he was being paid.

Read more ....

My Comment: Its all about the money. Congolese soldiers are not paid .... so why fight. The various guerrilla groups earn income from the mineral mines that they operate .... and they do not want to give that up. The international community expresses their disgust on what is happening .... but provide little if any resources to make a difference.

Progress .... progress is just a dream for many right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment