Friday, February 26, 2010

The 33 Conflicts And Wars Around The World

U.S. Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Cody D. Mayberry, with Charlie Company, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, listens to a brief before a patrol near Marja, Afghanistan, Feb. 21, 2010. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Cpl. Albert F. Hunt

Planet War -- Foreign Policy

From the bloody civil wars in Africa to the rag-tag insurgiences in Southeast Asia, 33 conflicts are raging around the world today, and it’s often innocent civilians who suffer the most.

Read more ....

My Comment: My initial impression when I started to read this article is that there are far more conflicts/wars in the world than 33. Further reading I noticed that there is no mention of the ETA and the Basque struggle, and AHENEEN left the following comment which listed the following conflicts that were omitted

.... I didn't see the conflicts in Burundi, Cabinda (Angola), Cote d'Ivoire, Western Sahara, or Algeria mentioned. Then in Asia, there's Kurds in Turkey, still some violence in the Russian Caucasus, and should the 'frozen conflicts' in Nagorno-Karabakh & Transnistria be mentioned?

There is also no mention of the tribal conflict in Kenya, nor the Baluch's struggle in Iran/Pakistan.

But criticism aside, this is agood summary of what are the wars and conflicts in the world, and a must read for anyone who is interested in this information.

Comment #2: This FP article has given me an idea. Over the weekend I am going to make a long and special post that will outline all of these conflicts .... and I will use it on a regular basis as my template to update the news on what is happening in each of these hot spots .... a sort of weekly update/summary on what is happening in each conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment