Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Remembering The Raising Of The US Flag At Mt. Suribachi 65 Years Ago

Photo from IwoJima.com

Iwo Jima Survivors Reflect On 65th Anniversary Of Battle -- Ohio.com

CUYAHOGA FALLS: Ed Fink thought attendance at a luncheon marking the 65th anniversary of the battle for Iwo Jima would be sparse.

After all, any survivors of one of World War II's most ferocious conflicts would be in their 80s at least.

''I figured we could have this thing in the phone booth — what with our ages,'' said Fink, 83, of Hudson.

Read more ....

My Comment: There are certain historical dates that (for some reason) have always stayed with me .... the battle of Iwo Jima is one of them.

However, I was very busy yesterday, and it was only when I woke up this morning that I remembered what had happened on February 23 at Iwo Jima 65 years ago.

One day late, but always appreciative of those soldiers who gave their lives in that epic and crucial battle of the war, this is my post dedicated to them.

The official Iwo Jima website is here, if you have the time browse through it, it will be worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment