Monday, August 30, 2010

The Life Of A MI5 Agent

Annie Machon, former intelligence officer for MI5: 'I couldn't talk to my friends freely about my life, so they felt increasingly shut out' Photo: BRIAN SMITH

Annie Machon: My So-Called Life As A Spy -- The Telegraph

The murder of MI6 operative Gareth Williams last week has turned the spotlight on the shady world of espionage. Here, a former intelligence offer for MI5 explains why the life of a British spy is an insular one.

Spies have always loved living in Pimlico: a civilised area in central London, handy for strolling to the office, and wonderfully convenient for that midnight dash to work if your operation suddenly goes live. Plus, the local pubs are pretty good for the customary after-work moan.

I lived there myself when I worked as an intelligence officer for MI5 in the 1990s, so the murder of Gareth Williams in a nearby street gave me a bit of a jolt. While his death remains shrouded in mystery, what has been reported of his life sounds like classic GCHQ.

Read more ....

My Comment: No surprises in the article, but still an interesting read.

No comments:

Post a Comment