Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why So Few Female Combat Pilots


She Has The Right Stuff: Female Combat Pilots Have Been Flashing Their Skills For 20 Years -- Washington Times

Retired Air ForceCol. Martha McSally, who logged more than 300 combat flying hours, today is recalling how she took part in the Pentagon’s last gender revolution, as the U.S. military prepares to open a new frontier for women — direct ground combat.

The winter of 1993: Col. McSally and fewer than a dozen other young female officers got calls from the Air Force telling them a 45-year ban on women flying fighter jets and bombers was ending. They had been picked to be pioneers if they wanted to try to show they had the right stuff.

“Am I interested?” she recalls saying. “I’m flying T-37s [trainers] in Del Rio, Texas. What do you think? Of course I’m interested.”

Read more ....

My Comment: I am surprised by these stats. I expected the percentage of female combat pilots to be much higher .... especially since the rules were changed over 20 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment