Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Military Families Plan For The Worst

U.S. Marines depart a checkpoint and patrol back to Forward Operating Base Geronimo, Afghanistan, May 30, 2010. The Marines are assigned to Headquarters Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment. U.S. Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Mark Fayloga

Amid A Defense Budget Fight, Military Families Plan For The Worst -- At War/New York Times

My husband doesn’t whisper. So when he leaned into me before his 2009 deployment and whispered that soldiers – many soldiers – were going to die where they were going in Afghanistan, I listened. Yet I am the kind of practical woman who could hear his fear and chalk it up to predeployment jitters.

My husband was right about that deployment. In four months, 20 members of our unit, the 1-17 Infantry Battalion, Fifth Brigade, Second Infantry Division, out of Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash, died. I spent every other Wednesday at a military memorial sitting behind friends whose husbands were now among the fallen.

Read more
....

My Comment: A post that puts everything into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment