Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Germany Will Make Its Last Reparations Payment For World War I On Oct. 3

Archive photo of French soldiers in World War I: France and Britain needed German reparations to repay their own war debts. AFP

Legacy Of Versailles: Germany Closes Book On World War I With Final Reparations Payment -- Spiegel Online

Germany will make its last reparations payment for World War I on Oct. 3, settling its outstanding debt from the 1919 Versailles Treaty and quietly closing the final chapter of the conflict that shaped the 20th century.

Oct. 3, the 20th anniversary of German unification, will also mark the completion of the final chapter of World War I with the end of reparations payments 92 years after the country's defeat.

The German government will pay the last instalment of interest on foreign bonds it issued in 1924 and 1930 to raise cash to fulfil the enormous reparations demands the victorious Allies made after World War I.

Read more
....

My Comment: At least it is now paid off. I have doubts that present debt levels from the U.S., Britain, France, and other European countries will never be paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment