Friday, March 26, 2010

Going Out On Patrol With A Four Star General

U.S. Gen. Stanley McChrystal, right, head of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, likes to secretly go on patrol with his troops. ABC News accompanied him exclusively on a patrol Bula Mughab today. The general is scene in this file photo near Spin Boldak in Kandahar Province on March 4, 2010. (Peter Graff/Reuters)

Exclusive: Gen. McChrystal Goes On Patrol In 'Taliban Vacation Spot' -- ABC News

McChrystal Sometimes Goes on Patrol With His Troops, and ABC News Joins Him.

"I'm an old guy, but I'll try not to get in the way," said the soldier, addressing a group of Afghan, American and Italian troops in this small, green district near Afghanistan's western border. Some of them chuckled.

"You're in charge. I'm the junior guy here," he added, to a few more chuckles, but mostly blank stares.

"OK? Let's go."

Read more ....

My Comment: I am curious if .... after assuming the role of senior General in Afghanistan .... has anyone taken a pot shot at him when he goes out on these patrols. My answer .... I doubt it. But still .... there is always that element of risk, and I wonder if it is wise to have such an officer out on such a patrol.

Then again .... a leader must lead and one of the ways to lead is to do what everyone else is doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment