Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Remembering The Cuban Missile Crisis



Remembering The Nuclear Red Line -- Fyodor Lukyanov, Moscow Times

Nearly every detail of the Cuban missile crisis has been exhaustively studied and analyzed in the past 50 years. Even if additional documents are one day declassified and new details come to light, the overall picture of what happened will remain unchanged. Some elements of that standoff have passed into history, while others remain pertinent to this day. On the whole, though, it would hardly be possible to find a direct parallel between the October 1962 crisis and current events.

The Cuban missile crisis marked the peak of the Cold War because it drew the red line that neither side was willing to cross. The bitter and ruthless confrontation continued for another 25 years, albeit more indirectly, as a game in which both sides sought to bring as many countries as possible into their own orbits. This rivalry and conflict of interests occasionally erupted into open hostilities in the form of proxy wars.

Read more ....

My Comment: I was 2 years old at the time, so I have no recollection of that time. But my parents do, and I will always remember my father talking to me about how worried he was during those two weeks. I will be posting this weekend a special post on the 50th anniversary of the Cuban Missile Crisis.

No comments:

Post a Comment