Sunday, January 11, 2009

Army Lures Recruits With Virtual Reality War Game

From Times Online.

THE first flash of gunfire came from a doorway. I swivelled my turret-mounted M4 carbine assault rifle as our armoured vehicle lurched along a bumpy desert road. The head of an insurgent filled my sights. I squeezed the trigger and his gun went flying as his body recoiled.

Another one dead, but there was no time to celebrate. An incoming rocket exploded in front of us. The Humvee shook from the force of the blast. I grabbed a rail and for a moment was disoriented. I began to wish that I had gone shopping instead.

The Iraq war is under way at the Franklin Mills shopping centre near Philadelphia. A few doors away from the Life in Pink lingerie store and the Banana Republic factory outlet, the US army has installed its most elaborate virtual wartime experience in the hope of attracting a new generation of recruits.

Read more .....

No comments:

Post a Comment